News: Twitter Changes Updates to Tweets

In the grand scheme of things, this news seems a bit insignificant in light of other current events However, it is significant in the world of Social Media. As mainstream audiences embrace new media, every subtle nuance introduced from here on out reverberates across the social landscapes that define, shape, and dictate its evolution and its pace of adoption.

Today, Twitter changed its “update” button to a verb that will only gain in prominence, “Tweet.”

Thanks to good friend @Orli for her observation and also for capturing the screenshot.

It should be noted, that Twitter has applied to trademark “Tweet” and that process is still ongoing.

This is the second recent change in the culture and language of Twitter, with the first, rewording the prompt that triggered or shaped your updates, well, now Tweets. Originally Twitter asked, “What are you doing?” Now, you’re prompted by “What’s happening?” Again, subtle…but profound. As I’ve always believed, Twitter has always asked the wrong question and suggested that it change over time to continually inspire creativity, deep thought, profound statements and observations in addition to everyday status and conversations.

What do you think about this change?

UPDATE: You are also going to be asked, if you haven’t already, to decide whether or not to turn on your location.

Connect with Brian Solis on Twitter, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Google Buzz, Facebook

Please consider reading my brand new book, Engage!

60 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “News: Twitter Changes Updates to Tweets”

1. Susan says:

I like the idea of changing to “tweet” from “update.” It seems like the right verb. “Update” sounds too formal. Here's what the real Twitter question should be: “What's on your mind?”

2. Stefan says:

By now, they obviously changed it back to “update”

3. Jenn Fowler says:

Interesting. Maybe it will stop all those folks who keep referring to it as “twit” instead of “tweet”.

4. Cat says:

It has not rolled out to all – as of Weds. am, it still says updates. I have agreed for a long time that twitter used to ask the wrong question – and the subtle changes do help.

I still think they need a community manager who is automatically assigned to follower/following status who will answer questions from new twitter users- as it is still not intuitive when people start out.

5. Kary Delaria says:

I have the “tweet” button. Like others who commented, I agree that the change will strengthen Twitter's brand, but on a bigger picture, it's the “verbing of America.” “Fax” “Email” “Tweet” etc. When nouns become verbs it's an implication that people are not just “using” the tool, but “doing.” And with these tools, the “doing” is communicating, connecting, engaging. A verb implies that we are actually having an experience.

A slight change that carries huge significance.

6. zaneology says:

Ah Yes…makes my tweet necklaces even more poignant. 🙂

7. Julie Ruel says:

My account is showing “Tweet” now instead of “Update”. In my opinion, I suppose changing the button to “tweet” helps strengthen their brand. But I'm definitely growing tired of the word. Especially when people in the hallway at work walk by me and say, “tweet, tweet!” since I run our Twitter account. But anyway… 🙂

8. Smart branding move. If you own the platform and you own the concept, might as well use it where you can, especially on your own site.

9. kathycolaiacovo says:

Thanks for the info…I have been wondering when the trademark issue was going to get settled out. Mine said update this morning – but tonight it says Tweet.

10. Sarah Jo says:

As for myself, I have not yet begun to follow Twitter, but it's interesting how Twitter is listening to its users. For a while now, I have been hearing more and more about “tweets,” and now with Twitter changing its “Update” button to say “Tweet” instead, shows that the company is willing to change itself to better suit and appeal to its customers wants.

11. Sarah Jo says:

12. I always mess it it and write “Twitting” or “TwittDeck” instead of Tweeting or TweetDeck. It would make more sense to me. It's twitter not Tweeter 🙂

13. Courtney says:

Maybe eventually a big button that says an unimpressed and eye-brow raised “…Well?”