- Message control is the antithesis of social media, which enables people to communicate
- The video “The Break-Up” serves as the ideal example of this culture clash (just replace the word “Advertising” on his shirt with “Public Relations” and play along
- Companies will lose their customer relationships if they don’t learn how to speak with them
- Marketing departments have a really hard time letting go of message control as an ethos
- Newer cultures have an easier time adopting versus more established companies and marketing departments who “mastermind messages”
- Jennifer McClure’s work with New Communications Review does a great job providing actual data showing the benefits of participating in conversations versus message control
- Doc Searls, “There’s no market for messages” and Phil Gomes extrapolation on no market.
Click here to listen.
Click here to download.
#1: Audiences versus Communities.
#2: Participation is Marketing