Women Who (Do) Tech: Moving Forward, Seizing the Future

by Cathy Brooks (@CathyBrooks, CathyBrooks.com)

This is not another post about the “issue” of why there are fewer women in business and technology. This is a post about doing something about it.

You would think based on coverage, like this article last April in the New York Times and this more recent post in the Wall Street Journal that women had made little to no progress in Silicon Valley.

Hogwash.

To be fair, if we’re talking raw numbers women are still at a disadvantage. There are fewer of us, especially if we’re talking about hands-on, up to your elbows in code technologist work. The numbers on the business side are better, but there still isn’t anything really resembling parity.

My question is: Why on earth should that be a problem? It shouldn’t.

My bigger question is: Can we PLEASE stop complaining and just start doing the work? From the response I’ve heard in the last week to the Wall Street Journal post it would seem the answer to that may well finally be YES!

Sparked by a post penned by Michael Arrington, a litany of women stamped down their collective foot. The time has come to grab the glasscutters and storm the ceiling. Is there chauvenism? Yep. Is there misogyny? You bet. In continually talking about these things, we’re wasting time. I for one am done wasting mine and on Wednesday, September 15 I’ll be joining about 800 other women who feel the same way. The gathering is the third annual WomenWhoTech Telesummit.

Started in 2007 by Allyson Kapin of RadCampaign in response to the lack of opportunities for qualified female speakers, WomenWhoTech takes a decidedly proactive tone in its content. Rather than commiserating about how challenging it is to be a woman, this one-day virtual conference tackles topics like launching start-ups, diversifying founding teams, best practices in open source development and female ferocity as a business asset.*

Speaking about the premise of this Telesummit, Kapin notes that if you wait for the challenges to go away, you’re wasting time. She said, “Sexism … racism … all the ‘ism’s. Are they going to disappear any time soon? Probably not, but if we band together we can address the issues. Instead of being reactive, it’s time to be proactive and productive and become part of the solution.”

Some additional related articles on this subject:

*Disclosure: Cathy Brooks is moderating the WomenWhoTech panel discussion on female ferocity.

Image Credit: Shutterstock

70 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Women Who (Do) Tech: Moving Forward, Seizing the Future”

1. Cathy, couldn't agree with you more– I'm glad to see that you're contributing to the solution and not feeding into to the cycle of dispair. While gender/race/class disparities exist in just about any profession, it's important to work together and find solutions, or the cycle will never be broken. I think it's time to roll up our sleeves and get ferocious. Brian, thanks for posting :)

• cathybrooks says:

Thanks Krista … to be fair, I do understand that discrimination is alive and well … not just for women but racial, ethnic, religious and sexuality orientation “minority” groups. Thing is, as minorities the only way to succeed and excel is to engage the support of those who are “other than” the minority in which you exist. By definition, being a minority means you have a numbers disadvantage … and in the vein of “you get more flies with honey than vinegar” in order for women (and other minorities) to address the disparity is to step forward with conviction, thoughtful engagement and driving forward in a positive way.

No one likes a whiner :)

2. michellegreer says:

I can't speak for any of the others, but I took issue in the TechCrunch comments not with Arrington, but with other commenters who claimed that women are biologically not as good at math or science. For doing so, my inbox was pummeled with comments calling me the c-word, illogical, and even one suggestion that I euthanize myself for hating my female body.

I understand that most people do not feel this way, but please note that many areas of the world are not as open minded when it comes to gender equality as the Bay Area, and that pointing it out is not a bad thing as long as those words are followed up with action.

I am not a victim and despise being painted as such. I just don't suffer fools gladly. Now back to work.

• cathybrooks says:

Hey Michelle … oddly I had replied to this comment earlier but my response seems to have fallen out of the thread, so wanted to chime in again.

First, I'm sorry you had those experiences. I've had my fair share of attacks and know how that feels. For whatever it's worth, I try to remember that when folks respond that way it's not about me. It's about their insecurity and low sense of self that they must strike out. I'm guessing that those comments were also largely anonymous or so posted in a way that you couldn't identify the source … nothing worse than a coward.

To your point about gender equality in the Bay Area – make no mistake even in this bastion of seeming liberal openness there is a distinctly parochial feel about many things and also a hefty dose of misogyny. It exists everywhere … and from where I sit, the thing to keep in mind is that while we cannot stamp out all of those people, leveraging the magnificently transparent world of social media we *can* bring those perpetrators to public accountability … forcing them into the open, shining a bright light on their behavior.

While there may be a slight rose-hued tint to my lens, I do firmly believe that (at least in business) by forcing such people into public view that the general perception will be that they are in the wrong and in the end they will be ostracized.

In the mean time, supporting each other and making sure to remember that, as Eleanor Roosevelt said (this isn't the perfect version of her quote but a solid paraphrase): “Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.”

Your strong closing sentence leads me to believe you are precisely the kind of strong woman who can withstand those slings and arrows … and toss 'em back when need be. May you continue to roar!

• michellegreer says:

That is unfortunate about misogyny in the Bay Area. When are these guys going to figure out that women are the big influencers online, AND we spend more money? I think having a woman's perspective would rock in a lot of cases.

All I can say is, keep on keeping on, Cathy. 😉

3. Bravo Cathy… I'm with Krista… I couldn't agree with you more.

Michelle, mean comments never surprise me… some folks have a lot of time on their hands.

I get frustrated every time I hear someone ask “where are the women in tech?”

Hello! We're right here!

I think the reason people assume there are so few women in tech is because we're busy working rather than pursuing the PR limelight.

Unfortunately, a lot of what passes for success in the tech world is what I consider “perceived success” — akin to a modern day version of the “Emperor’s New Clothes.” Perception often trumps reality, and the reality is that women are succeeding in the tech biz. What we need now is to better communicate our success.

• cathybrooks says:

Great points Babette – and when folks ask about where are the women business leaders, you are one of the folks to whom I point :)

One point I'd like to posit related to your comment … as Jolie O'Dell noted in the post of hers that led me to the link I shared in the post above, is that there's a *big* difference between women in technology and women as technologists. I work in technology. I'm not a technologist. I don't code. And the number of women who *do* is decidedly low … something for us to fix :)

• Thanks! :)
      Good point regarding the difference. Very true –

4. Anna says:

Being a woman has NEVER been an issue for me, whether as a project manager for web companies or as the owner of my consulting firm. The reason: I don't see myself as a woman; I'm just a person. I am a person with certain skills that other people lack. Therefore, they need my services to help them succeed. They, in turn, have skills and can provide services for me that I cannot provide for myself. The point I'm making is that the minute we stop labeling ourselves, then others will too. And if they don't, then that's their problem and their loss. By the way, I'm also Hispanic, but that, too, has never stopped me from succeeding in anything I've attempted to accomplish. I ignore those who choose to label me and I never feel sorry for myself when I don't get what I want. My career path is paved by my own hands.

• cathybrooks says:

A-men … or shall I jokingly offer A(wo)-men? :) Joking aside … I hate labels too … Let's of course admit that stereotypes exist for a reason (being both Jewish and gay I'll cop to sometimes nodding my head at things I hear) … but at the same time those are not defining factors for all … nor should they be the guiding force … especially in business.

Brava to you for such strong conviction and sense of self … what I would posit to you is, do you think there are ways you might reach out to those whose esteem may not be so strongly forged? Not suggesting you lead a support group but perhaps be a role model for others as just your brief post leaves me thinking you'd be splendid for that!

5. Carla Schlemminger says:

Cathy, thought-provoking post, thank you. I believe much of the progress will also come from mentoring <in addition=”” moving=”” past=”” the=”” to=”” whining=””>. Sure, a new generation will have more role models and glass ceilings broken from which to refer. But one of the single greatest actions each of us can do — right now — is encourage the young professional women in our circles to reach high, and even break new ground if it hasn't been already. Sans limits. @carlainsf</in>

• cathybrooks says:

I couldn't agree more … and let's talk about that mentoring thing … what actions do you take to help on that front? Speak at schools? Belong to list servs and such? What suggestions might you have for folks. If we're going to forge some solutions let's share some ideas!