I joined Chris Heuer, Tom Foremski, and Shel Holtz for the latest edition of the NMRCast (New Media Release) for Shel’s award-winning For Immediate Release (FIR) podcast. This was a interesting and informative episode that not only discussed the future of the NMR but also current examples by Todd Defren, Shel Holtz, and my agency, FutureWorks, as well as Todd‘s recent post regarding Top 5 Principles of Social Media News Releases.
NMRCast #7 – “Real-world implementations” is available online here.
In This Edition:
Todd Defren’s post, “Top 5 Principles of the Social Media News Release”
New media release principles applied to Chevy Super Bowl College Ad Challenge
SpiralFrog new media release
FutureWorks‘ new media release for SwapThing.
Shift Communications new media release on winning the Novell AOR business
Shift Communications’ social media release for Novell
New Media Release wiki
The addition of MarketWire to the Working Group for the new media release
Google Groups mailing list for New Media Release discussion (please join!)
History: The series was inspired by Tom Foremski’s original post, Die Press Release, Die Die Die, where he tells the PR industry that things cannot go along as they are . . . business as usual while mainstream media goes to hell in a hand basket. Foremski has even offered advice on how to create a better press release:
- Provide a brief description of what the announcement is, but leave the spin to the journalists. The journalists are going to go with their own spin on the story anyway, so why bother? Keep it straightforward rather than spintastic.
- Provide a brief description of what the announcement is, but leave the spin to the journalists. The journalists are going to go with their own spin on the story anyway, so why bother?
- Keep it straightforward rather than spintastic.
- Provide a page of quotes from the CEO or other C-level execs.
- Provide a page of quotes from customers, if applicable.
- Provide a page of quotes from analysts, if applicable.Provide financial information in many different formats.
- Provide many links inside the press release copy, and also provide a whole page of relevant links to other news stories or reference sources.
- And tag everything so that I can pre-assemble my stories.
Please vote for this story at NewPR!
Tags: todd defren, smpr, Social Media, social media optimization, Socialmediaclub, smo, seo, pr-squared, public+relations, marketwire, new media, newpr, nmr, press release, pr, pr 2.0, PR2.0, hrelease, spiral frog, futureworks, Tom Foremskibrian solis, briansolis, Silicon Valley Watcher, Chris Heuer, Shel Holtz, fir, ForImmediateRelease