Exploring the Twitterverse

Happy New Year!

Twitter officially launched to the public in July 2006. By 2008, the universe of applications developed to enhance the Twitter experience was boundless. While the ecosystem was burgeoning with apps, the ability to track and manage the apps designed for specific purposes was elusive.

I spent the better part of Fall 2008 studying and organizing the available Twitter apps available for new marketing, community management, and customer service professionals. Once organized, I published Twitter Tools for Marketing and Community Professionals on October 17, 2008. I actively curated and modified the list for several months. However, the rate of new and abandoned applications was too much for one person to manage. Instead, I focused my spare time and resources on helping Laura Fitton (@pistachio) and her team launch Oneforty.com, a comprehensive social app directory for all things Twitter. I remain as an advisor to this day.

The Twitterverse (Alpha)

To commemorate the move, I partnered once again with Jesse Thomas and JESS3 to visualize the most effective and productive tools for Twitter. In May 2009, we introduced the alpha of the Twitterverse (below). Unlike the Conversation Prism, the Twitterverse was not originally designed as a transmedia object, simply a social object packaged in the form of an infographic. The image never made it to 1.0 status as I dove head first into Engage and several other business endeavors. After all of this time, I felt the need to revisit this visual as the Twitter ecosystem only continues to gain in prominence in our digital culture.

In 2010, I focused my limited free time on the refresh of the Conversation Prism. Once that project was completed, I then blasted off toward the Twitterverse to rethink the methodology and ultimately the visual of the Twitterverse with the JESS3 team. Here we are, 20 months later, and I can’t believe this day is finally here.

Introducing The Twitterverse version 1.0

A new year, a new Twitterverse. 2011 marks the debut of the Twitterverse 1.0. Again, I revisited the landscape of useful Twitter apps designed for marketing, business, and service professionals. This time, we organized and  positioned “representative” apps across 19 rings in the Twitter egosystem over the previous 12. Like its sibling, The Twitterverse is designed as a transmedia object. It’s available for free in a presentation-friendly format and also in high-res. For the first time, the Twitterverse is also available as a 22 x 28 poster.

With Twitter at the center of the stellar system, apps orbit at different rotations based on their design and functionality.

Ring 1: Branding

Ring 10: Rich Media Ring 11: Communication Management

Ring 12: Research and Analysis Ring 13: Stream Management

Ring 14: Mobile Applications Ring 15: Trends Ring 16: Social CRM

Ring 17: Influence and Resonance

Ring 18: Twitter Search

Ring 19: Causation

Naturally with thousands of considerable apps available for Twitter, it’s impossible to include everything. However, this is an evolving graphic, so please leave your ideas and suggestions in the comments section here or on Flickr.

UPDATED: The Twitterverse covered in The Atlantic, The Next Web, Guardian UK (Thank you!)

Connect with Brian Solis on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook

185 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Exploring the Twitterverse”

1. The world of apps are big now…and its begging to get harder and harder just to keep up with them..but this is an good thing your doing Brian..

“Black Seo Guy “Signing Off”

2. Krista says:

Very helpful, Brian! It helps to delineate between the available Twitter apps to better understand which ones best serve your needs as a communicator/marketer. As with the Conversation Prism, I’m always impressed with your research and ability to visually represent useful data.

3. Rahul says:

hi brian, i just love the way you are making your illustration it is great. By the way many applications are in the business world today and they are competing each other to come up with “WHO WILL be THE GREAT”.

4. Hello Brian, this is brilliant and much easier to internalize than lists. I knew I was just scratching the surface of twitter; makes me feel so pre telescope.

5. Nik Hewitt says:

Very cool and useful! Thanks Brian, again 😉

6. Jimi Jones says:

This is a really awesome and helpful illustration, providing a great view of Twitter in totality. Brilliant!

7. Anonymous says:

Twitter is a awesome tool and I find that I get more visit’s to my blog from tweets than any other referral source. By allowing other apps to integrate with Twitter, such as DISQUS, you allow your tweets to penetrate the TwitterVerse even further. Eventually allowing your “Social Influence”, as you have spoken about, to gain strength.
    The visual really helps to understand this.
    Thanks,
    Craig

8. Anonymous says:

The visual really helps to understand this.
    Thanks,
    Craig

9. Anonymous says:

The visual really helps to understand this.
    Thanks,
    Craig

10. Anonymous says:

The visual really helps to understand this.
    Thanks,
    Craig

11. Anonymous says:

this is simply brilliant, helpful, inspiring and everything in between. I find that your take on the opportunities surrounding twitter to always be helpful and I appreciate the hard work you put into this, Thank you

12. Wow. I wish I had a copy of this to put on my wall. I’ve never been good at keeping up with all of the apps, and I sense from looking at this that I am lacking in that area at my own peril.

Plus, it’s really interesting and pretty to look at!

Well done, and Happy New Year!

13. Extreme John says:

Wow I can’t even imagine how much time went into putting this post together. I honestly didn’t picture the Twitterverse running that deep. Retweeted.

14. Anonymous says:

Thanks for all of your help with oneforty, Brian. We appreciate your support and mentorship :)